Discussion Group: Striking the Vital Points
Geshe Dhargey raised several important topics during his recent teaching of the Wheel of Sharp Weapons by Dharmarakshita. During a break in his teaching, Janine Coover will lead a series of group discussions with an emphasis on how a consideration of these topics can have a positive impact on our lives.
Among questions to considered will be:
- How do the "eight worldly concerns" (pleasure and pain, fame and insignificance, gain and loss, praise and blame) operate in our relationships and in our work life?
- What impact do they have on ourselves and others?
- How is liking something different from desiring it? Is getting what we want worthwhile? How do we experience attachment once we get what we want?
- How do we experience suffering? What do we believe to be the cause of our suffering?
- How can a belief in karma affect our lives? Are there any downsides to holding this belief?
- What is the basis for our belief or disbelief in past and future lives? What evidence do we have for this possibility?
During the group discussion Janine will share her thoughts and relevant personal experiences, and will invite you to share your own. She may also lead a short thought exercise or meditation to more deeply explore a topic. At the end of each session, she will propose a suggested reflection that can be used as a daily awareness practice.
Janine has been a student and practitioner of Buddhism for the past 15 years. She has had the good fortune to attend many teachings by Gyumed Khensur Rinpoche and Geshe Dhargey at DNKL, as well as several other highly qualified dharma teachers. She is also a DNKL board member and a self-employed consultant, serving clients in a variety of industries.
The following commentaries have been published on this text. These are not required reading, but may prove useful to students interested in exploring the root text from other perspectives.
Peacock in the Poison Grove, by Geshe Lhundub Sopa
Wheel of Sharp Weapons, by Gelek Rimpoche
Good Karma, by Thubten Chodron
Mirror to Your Life, by Geshe Tenzin Zopa
https://zoom.us/j/4522777814, Password 057655
+16699006833,,4522777814# US (San Jose)